On a cloudy Sunday morning, three SCA interns and several Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park employees and volunteers headed up to Mulkiteo to catch the 9:30 AM ferry to Ebey’s Landing National Historical Reserve. Craig Holmquist, the Ebey’s Landing Operations Manager, was kind enough to show us around the Ferry House which is located close to the quaint little town of Coupeville. Craig gave us a tour of the house and informed us that it is one of the oldest residential buildings in Washington. It was built in 1860 by Winfield Scott Ebey as an Inn to provide financial stability for his brother’s children, who were orphaned when Isaac Neff Ebey was beheaded by Canadian natives. The house is also the site of the Scott Hick’s film Snow Falling on Cedars (1999). We were also pleased to learn that transportation on the island is completely free!